View Poll Results: Best Stream to choose for robotics career ?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Computer Engineering

5 35.71%
  • Elecctrical/Electronics Engineering

6 42.86%
  • Mechanical Engineering

2 14.29%
  • Mechatronics

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Stream to choose for robotics ?

Blog Entries

Default Best Stream to choose for robotics ?

I often see people asking this weather they should do mech , EE or CSE or mechatronics. I instantly reply CSE .

The reason is i consider the brain the most important , mechanical constructions is easy with available chassies and material , and no one either really makes circuits himself also. Also whats lacking in the field is good programming to duplicate intelligence ... we already have good mech / electronics which power robots.

What do you guys think ?
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Android roopakjada's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah ! computers would be the best option but i feel computers can also be learnt at home (but seriousness is required) I'd go with CSE or ECE learn programming at home + electronics al college what do you think ?

No.. But i don agree with it.. I feel any branch is ok!! I 'am a mechanical engineering student, still i have managed to learn AVR, matlab and im pretty ok wit it. I learnt only on my own.. Google was my only reference. So i feel there is no necessity for being specific about the branch to choose..

Blog Entries

@maddy_nish
    Any brach is fine for basic robotics , and you can learn anything. But when you are taught somethings and its easier in the long run. Image processing , Artifical intelligence , Programming , digital design , basic mechanics , parallel processing / computing all is in CSE ... so i think its the best bet ... you dont have to do things twice . Also you go through a whole range of languages ... c , java , c# etc ... end of the day more you know the better it is.

Also in today's world mechanical design is not what is lacking it is Intelligence (aka programming) what is lacking and needs development.

Choice is CSE cause you actually get marks also for what you like so you can have more time to thing you love , I dought excelling in avr/matlab will fetch marks in many mech subjects. This is why i bunked mostly and still landed up in top 5 in class easily,cause i was doing what was in the subjects.

Anyhow its all upto the you , ive seen people from law background in robotics ... cause they love it .
    Vikas Patial

@Vikas

I feel your point is from a view of a CS engineer. But from a mechanical engineer's point of view, we cannot say its easy or not much to be done in field.. Take material science, tribology , kinematics design... Still there is lot of scope for improvement towards better balance, minimum friction of moving parts, weight reduction without compensating on strength, last but not least design of kinematic linkages.... This is just from a mechanical engineer's point of view.. Im sure Electrical engineers have got lots to say on this..

Therefore i feel let it be any branch, it would definitely have something to contribute..

hi maddy i am a mech student too and i feel cse or ece is the best of the lot for robotics enthusiasts.

the reason is that i can work out all the algorithms to solve a particular problem statement but i am unable convert it into good program , although the internet has everything finding good stuff is a real pain and even then it would be very difficult to interpret it.
    another thing about cs guys is that they have friends and staff to help them when they need it ....

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

i would say it doesnt really matter.

When you go into serious robotics, you need to know a lot about basic physics and kinematics as well. And also deep into electronic design. So when you go in depth, the mechanical and electronic components need to be custom built.

Summing up, i would say all you need is the attitude and the passion. And during the course, the electronic guy can lean mechanical, computer guy can learn electronics etc and etc.

But i do wonder how many people have that lasting passion, and go further ahead over ready made kits and components?
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Member Advanced User

Building robots in Indian student competitions may be a starting point and good motivation, but it is far from a robotics career. Consider doing a MS/PhD or considerable self-study, if you are really planning a robotics career.

I obviously agree with allbits that all you need is the attitude and the passion. But, I don't think in "serious robotics" everyone have to master kinematics, electronic design and AI design. If we think of the core areas of robotics as mechanics, control, perception, and cognition, its hard to master all of them. My CS background allows me a big head-start for AI part of the robotics problem like perception, autonomy. Similarly Mech or Electrical majors will have an edge in mechanics and control areas.

P.S: Hi people, Am here after a long time. Nice to see RI still up and going strong.

Computer Engineering because it requires mind exercise the most as compare to other stream and having so many opportunities in the field.

Senior Member Cyborg

Default Mech i think

Well to start with take the example of very small child, when asked what he(/she) want to be once he grows up the immediate answer will come up "Jalebiwala" , ask same to another 3-4 or more chil you will get the answer like samosawala, idliwala , icecream wala , shopkeeper ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amazing isn't it ?
    this happens because first child like Jalebi next child likes samosa, idli , icecream , choklates etc.
    The really difference one must look into looking at Robototics as a hobby or proffessional carear.
    Many people enters into this field with being extra ordinally inspired mind then fights for earning the leaving. Hobby and your liking and disliking is much more different than the practical proffessional life with which you have go upto 58 yrs of retirement.
    Robotics needs 3 things -> Imagination, Electronics - Microcontroller coding mostly, Mechanical Knowledge
    Imagination- You could be having or you can theift
    Electronics - Microcontroller coding mostly - You can learn it easily with C cross compiler like MikroC, CodevisionAVR no need to be E&TC engineer. This is possible because in engineering now a dats C prgramming subject is included in syllabus.
    Mechanical Knowledge -> You can use redymade chasis , available material to over come this but not all robotics project needs on chasis and will be available in market as redymate. Various mechanical caculations required for robotics is still a big headache of engineers which will be comparatively become simple if you become a Mech engg.
    It is possible to learn Microcontroller coding by reading the book but mechanical caculations you wont get at all by reading the books.

So my recommendation will be Mechanical Egineering.