Thread: building the wall following robot

Default building the wall following robot

I am building the wall following robot, but i am confused over which motors I should use
    my requirement is to control the speed of the robot
    so whether I should use the stepper motor or the simple dc motor (using PWM)???

Irrespective of the motor you use, there is no reason why a simple wall following robot will need speed control for the motors.

If you get the right motors and the motor drivers, controlling the speed of a Stepper Motor is as simple as controlling the speed of a DC motor. Getting good stepper motors and drivers or building one on your own is tough. Decent quality geared DC Motors and drivers are easier to get. Building a DC motor driver capable of controlling the speed of the motor is also quite simple. So go for DC motors.

If you use stepper motors, the only advantage I see is that you can control the distance your wheels travel. If you want to do this with DC motors, you will have to have additional encoders.
    Probots
    Online Robot Store : www.probots.co.in - Robot Kits , Development Boards and Components
    Blog : www.probots.co.in/blog - Probots' Official Blog
    Twt : www.twitter.com/probots - Probots' Official Tweets

thankz Pratheek sir

@amogh

Actually there is no necessity to use stepper motors and always try avoiding them. Just use simple geared motors, if at all you want to control speed use PWM to control speed.

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Do NOT use stepper for this application., even though you can. the right choice i a geared DC motor. There are no advantages for a stepper motor in this application.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

why you need a pwm to follow a wal ?
    you can simply use two ir sensors(left wall and right wall) to sense the wall.
    use a cheap BO series motor which comes at less RPM say 60, 100, 150 not more than that if you need accuracy.

you dont need any speed control

"
    Right wall follower robot
    while(1) //START INFINITE LOOP TO SCAN INPUT FROM PORT
    {
    if(bit_is_clear(PIND,1)) //IF Sensor(Right) senses obstacle
    {
    //Only right motor forward

}
    else
    {
    //Both motors Forward