Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short range distance measurement without line of sight

Question Short range distance measurement without line of sight

Is there any technique for Short range distance measurement without line of sight?

I'm looking for range measurement in the cm range upto 1m. I didn't find anything upon searching so was wondering if it is possible.
    Do note the requirement that it needs to be WITHOUT LINE OF SIGHT. But a transmitters and receivers may be used.

Hoping to hear some good news....

Blog Entries

Give some more details , what do you mean by no line of sight ? Is it some solid or liquid ? What exactly are you trying to do ?
    Vikas Patial

There will be obstacles like a few cm of paper or wood or sometimes even metal (not too concerned about that). The transmitter and receiver could at times lose direct line of sight, ie the above mentioned obstacles may come in between.

Blog Entries

Please be more specific regarding the technical specification ? Such a vague description will not get you any replies .

When someone is not serious enough in asking a question why will any one bother replying.
    Vikas Patial

Quote Originally Posted by vikas View Post
    Please be more specific regarding the technical specification ? Such a vague description will not get you any replies .

When someone is not serious enough in asking a question why will any one bother replying.
    I'm sorry if I sounded "not serious" from the problem statement. I'm not sure what else data I'm supposed to provide, but here's the whole abstract.

Basically I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to implement an idea that I have. In it I would like to track the position of a movable body (with a motor,processor and stuff) with respect to another body placed on the desk. The movable part is supposed to be moved by hand over a book so there could be a couple of cms of paper and/or some wood (if the bench has a tilted face) when considering a straight line between the fixed and movable part. The range required is not more than a desk size approx within a meter. But I'm looking for cm level measurement.

Please ask any other specific details that are needed and I'll try my best to provide them.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Is the movement only in 2d space ? what exactly are you trying to archive ?
    From the description it looks like a wireless mouse with a actuator at the other end.
    Vikas Patial

Ya, kind of like that. Some thing like that. Its like a mini-drafter but without the arms.

Blog Entries

Then why not buy a wireless mouse , they are very cheap compared to DIY ? something different here ?
    Vikas Patial

The aim of using a mini-drafter is to draw parallel lines. For this, the arms of the drafter, once set at an angle, will always maintain that angle with respect to the point of fixture with the help of the arms in the form of parallelograms. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of the arms. But to do that, as far as I know, I need to know the relative orientation ( rotation ) of the movable part with respect to the fixed part.

A wireless mouse has communication with a base but doesn't provide details about its position relative to the base. It just provides the distance travelled in a short interval. (or am I mistaken in that?)

why do you want to replace simple links and levers with complicated devices, this idea seams to be more like a contraption .