Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronics for Beginners

do i also have to learn some other programming language or c++ will do??????

Member User

Ok so you know gates and how the work in theory also don't get in micro controllers yet ... so now consider this .... what do you want to do ? or more correctly ... what do you want your robot to do . To communicate with your bot you will need to know about different sensors... I recommend you go through this site : http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_color.shtml and http://www.societyofrobots.com/schem...demitdet.shtml ... Also how comfortable are you with motors (DC motors specifically). have you ever worked with one?
    actually the whole site is treasure trove of knowledge... Study a bit. When i was in first year of my college i was too mesmerized by Micro-controllers but they are way advanced for basic robotics ... start with digital gates ... Also get a Bread board so digital gate IC some led few small resistor and play with them to see how theoretical logic gates can be real life gates also get in habit of reading Datasheet and understanding some of it....

Member User

Try this robot if you know some electronics and know about transistors or take a crash course on transistors on Wikipedia ... http://www.ermicro.com/blog/?p=1097

and i will say stick with bread board instead of soldering ... keep rest of the things same ... there are small bread boards available which are very easy to mount on small robot frames and are cheaper, plus they allow you to recycle all those electronics reducing the cost of your new found hobby...

thanks for all your help :-)
    so i should not worry about microcontrollers now
    by the way i want my first robot to be a simple line follower
    how much might the cost be?????

Member User

If you are not going for Micro controller (and i will say don't go)then not much... here is basic price list :
    Soldering kit : around 250 rs . (you will get a good 25 W Iron and solder wire (get a 50g roll )) also get Soldering Flux and De soldering copper strip.
    all basic electronics cost some where around 2rs to 8 rs per piece . with exception of Resistors and capacitors (these are cheap) and Transistors are bit more costly.
    Breadboard for 60 Rs ...
    2 small motors to start with around 200 bucks and wheels for 50... you know first bot will net you around 500 + Rs if you are starting from scratch and not getting in micro controllers..

Member User

Also a crash course on Transistors active region operation : http://www.wisc-online.com/Objects/V...spx?ID=SSE3603

thanks friend with ur guidance
    robot building will be easy and enjoyable too i mean there would be lesser mistakes hence lessewr frustation thanxxx again for providing me the list of goods i will have to buy i was really in need of such list

one more thing what did u mean by basic electronics i thought resistors capacitors and transisitors were basic electronics
    and were u talking about servo motors or dc (sorry if i used wrong names)

Junior Member User

I am too relaxed to see that your requirement is almost fulfilled. BTW, you are absolutely right that the resistors, capacitors and transistors are no doubt basis electronics, but servo motors and Dc are also a kind of basic electronics. So, since when you are going to take start up?

Member User

Quote Originally Posted by nitish007kumar005 View Post
    one more thing what did u mean by basic electronics i thought resistors capacitors and transisitors were basic electronics
    and were u talking about servo motors or dc (sorry if i used wrong names)
    Actually i was categorizing all basic electronics according to price.
    see this is current market trend :
    Resistors : 20 p per piece ... it will be better If you can get a resistor set (its like 5 resistors of each value in a box, costs somewhere around 30 - 40 rs).
    capacitor : 50 P to 2 rs etc etc as they grow bigger there price increases (here also you can get a set but not necessary for basics).
    transistors : these are bit costly ranging from 5-6 rs for basic to 30 - 40 rs for Power transistors.
    sensors like LDR may net you 5 -6 rs .... that is what i meant by basic electronics.

Also I kind of keep Motors and other actuators in Electrical basket..
    Do one thing if you are okay with the sample project then get these equipment... show us your progress step by step... we will help you if you do any mistake..

I also forgot to mention, get a Multimeter (a basic digital one will suffice for now, but if you are serious you can get the bigger ones too they are more accurate and have more range and functions )..