Thread: measure electrical activity in human muscles

Default measure electrical activity in human muscles

do we have some sort of sensor in market that detects electrical activity in human muscles?

or how can this be achieved?

Senior Member Android

What you are looking for is called an Electromyograph or EMG sensor. There are different types of EMGs but for the most part you will end up using sEMGs or surface EMG sensors. For any sort of meaningful data, you will have to process raw data. The processing involves 3 steps:
    1. Rectification
    2. Linear Envelope of the rectified signal
    3. Filtering (usually higher level, e.g. Kalman filters)

Do not use low level data acquisition devices like the Arduino if you are planning for research level work. Use high sampling rate devices, e.g. NI, Quanser or other DAQs.

I am not sure of the exact availability of sEMGs in India, but mostly the electrode is the same for EKGs, ECGs and sEMGs. You can use the same electrode but would require a good conditioning system to even get the raw data. I recently found a cheap system for starters (still about $50, which, believe me, is way cheap) or if you can source the parts you can follow this instructable:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Musc...crocontroller/

The link to the website that sells pre-made conditioning boards is on that instructable page as well.

I work extensively in the field of biomechanics and neuromuscular robotics so let me know if you need help.
    Last edited by lolman_returns; 04-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.