Thread: Timing belts and stepper motor combo

Junior Member Newbie

Smile Timing belts and stepper motor combo

Hi there folks, I have this project which requires a load of ~0.4kg should be pulled up in precise but varying lengths. The weight is to be suspended without other supports. What I thought of going for is a combination of a medium torque Stepper motor and a long timing belt with one pulley on the motor.

I am not that familiar with the mechanical side of robotics so I would really appreciate your inputs in this subject. Are there any other alternatives, if so please reply. If my assumptions are correct, where can I buy decent quality timing belts and pulleys in India? I would require it to be at least a length of 2mtrs. Since it should be really precise on the distance lifted, should I use some kind of distance measuring feedback (optical sensor) or just rely on the steps made by the motor?

Junior Member Newbie

You can use a Lead Screw and Guide Rail assembly. Google it to get details about the assembly. It will be very precise. You can try getting the parts in a local hardware store.

Junior Member Newbie

You can join both the parts with some sort of joint and then continue. You wouldn't have to bother about the belt as well.