Thread: New to microcontrollers!

Junior Member Newbie

Default New to microcontrollers!

Hello everybody.This is kartik and i have completed my first year in IC engineering.I was introduced to the world of arduino and the amazing things it can do by my seniors.Since then, i have been watching youtube videos ( jeremy blum's) and reading the book by him too .I got an arduino and learning all the basics from the videos and the book like transistor applications, shift registers, running a motor and using a H bridge and stuff like that.
    My questions are as follows:
    -Am i going over the top by learning about shift registers, h bridge and about transistors?
    -Do i need to first learn the basics of digital electronics(like oscillators,data,clock,flip-flops)?Or is it completely okay to follow the book i am reading (and i am definitely getting most of it)?
    -is using an arduino a mistake in the first place and that i need to cver up digital electronics first?
    if yes, then possible material that i could go thorugh.
    cheers,
    kartik

Blog Entries

No , your not giong over the top the more knowledge you have the better off you are. Also the things mentioned are quite basic not over the top.
    Its your call , basic Electronics knowledge never hurt anyone. As you can always look things up . But when you start desining more complex board such things will be needed to be known before hand.
    Arduino is like a stepping stone for better things to come.

Build projects and not worry about sylabus and theories , when you do things these things will automatically be learned.
    Vikas Patial

Junior Member Newbie

I'm new here, but what vikas just said sounds about right. I always keep a few books around, but not to study them word by word, but to answer the questions that pop up during a proyect.

In any case, if you are studying engineering, the school will make sure that you learn all the basics, so you are free to experiment on your own with other stuff!!

Banned Newbie

You need to learn some basics about digital electronics before you proceed to arduino.

You must have a clear knowledge about electronics. Oscillators and flip-flops are very important.