Thread: how to maintain parrellism

Default how to maintain parrellism

Hi everyone. I am new to robotics , my interest is in maintaing parallelism between a stationary plain and a moving drill.
    drill plane.jpg
    please see the attached image.
    i need something with the drill (A) so that it can indicate its parellism at all times to the tiltable plane (C).
    - Nothing can be attached to the plane (C)
    -The Drill is used for drilling in circular fashion.

I am not sure wether a gyroscope,or acellerometer will be usefull.

It is not necessary that some referance point from the plane(C),any other reference point can also be used.
    Can anybody help please.

Member Advanced User

Too many unknowns here ... if you want some relevant help, maybe you need to define the entities in more details

In general sense if you cannot use the drilled surface as a mechanical reference, you can try and use laser or IR based sensors which are good to about a few mm Using an distributed array of these might work for you.

An accelerometer used as a tilt sensor can be useful too, but they usually are really noisy specially under vibrations and same are gyros. ALso, gyros tend to have some drifts associated, so I would stay away from them.

Hope this helps.

-Pratik

Quote Originally Posted by cybertooth View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new to robotics , my interest is in maintaing parallelism between a stationary plain and a moving drill.
    drill plane.jpg
    please see the attached image.
    i need something with the drill (A) so that it can indicate its parellism at all times to the tiltable plane (C).
    - Nothing can be attached to the plane (C)
    -The Drill is used for drilling in circular fashion.

I am not sure wether a gyroscope,or acellerometer will be usefull.

It is not necessary that some referance point from the plane(C),any other reference point can also be used.
    Can anybody help please.