Thread: 8052 interrupts

Default 8052 interrupts

Hi;
    Can you give me the links where I can learn more about the usage of 8052 interrupts.

Senior Member Cyborg

cudn't really get ur question ?? .... do u want alternative functions to 8052 interrupts or uses for external interrupts ?? ... consult Mazidi & Mazidi ... for various applications of 8051 / 8052 ...
    Sumandeep Banerjee
    M.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    B.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    http://www.robotix.in

Default Hi

Hi;
    I want to know abt the alternative uses of external intrrupts..........

Senior Member Cyborg

Interrupts as u may be knowing are used to bring the processor's attention to a certain event immediately.

Very common application of 8052 ext int is for use with ADC. Where End of Conversion is signalled to the 8052 by the ADC chip.

U can even connect some digital sensors to the ext int if they need immediate attention or u may like to avoid poling the sensor pins thus saving valuable processor time. I use this technique to connect shaft encoders ... where using the two ext interrupts (INT0 & INT1) i count the steps of the wheel movement. Each time the interrept is called ... the corresponding step counter (left or right) is incremented .... it helps avoid poling ....
    Sumandeep Banerjee
    M.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    B.Tech, IIT Kharagpur,
    http://www.robotix.in

Depending on the appliction the external interrupt can be used... One thing that can help in thinking is like a event trigger... If you want to monitor some external event and trigger a particular peice of code for that then use external interrupts...

Also if this happens too often ;0) then you might want to rethink your design.. Since for each interrupt your micro needs a lot of overhead of saving and retrieving stack info. So ensure that the rate of interrupt is not more than half your clock rate. (for safe designing i guess)...

just my two cents worth....

Nimesh