Thread: Are these sensors smart enough for bots!!!!!

Default Are these sensors smart enough for bots!!!!!

Are smart sensors widely used in robotics?If so Why?????????I mean what are their real advantages?

Blog Entries

Default Can you clarify

Hey dude

Can you be a little more specific ???? Exactly what are you talking about

Smart sensors are nothing but, sensors in which signal conditioning circuitry is integrated into it. As an eg. ADXL202 acceleration sensors from Analog devices ( a whole acc. sensor/dual axis tilt sensor in a 5x5mm package). They take less space and are accurate. Correct me if i'm wrong.

regds

happy_99

Default Re: Are these sensors smart enough for bots!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robosapien84
    Are smart sensors widely used in robotics?If so Why?????????I mean what are their real advantages?
    Well these sensors are capable of taking their own decisions without additional(ie:external) circuitry.I think this will do.happy has explained the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_99
    Smart sensors are nothing but, sensors in which signal conditioning circuitry is integrated into it. As an eg. ADXL202 acceleration sensors from Analog devices ( a whole acc. sensor/dual axis tilt sensor in a 5x5mm package). They take less space and are accurate. Correct me if i'm wrong.

regds

happy_99
    Did you use it in any of your projects.Is it widely used in robotics?
    robosapien84

Senior Member T-1000

smart sensors also reduce load on the main controller.
    for eg:
    the adxl220 which happy_99 was talkin abt,senses vibrations and changes it into PWM signal.The processor now only has to sense the PWM changes.

These sensors also have inbuilt signal condidtiong in them,reducing the number of chips used to get a clear signal

-ice
    //gerry

Did you use it in any of your projects.Is it widely used in robotics?
    robosapien84
    Yes I'm using it (ADXL 202) in my current project for tilt sensing. It's very easy to hook up to a uP, no external comps needed(few caps & res). Jst count the PWM duration using a counter and u get the inclination (or acceleration). One problem I faced was, soldering the chip. It's only 5mmx5mm, so had to use microsoldering station.

You'll get ADXL202 samples from Analog Devices, but some 200Rs. duty.

Regds

happy_99