Thread: Metal detecting circuits

Member Advanced User

Default Metal detecting circuits

Hi friends,
    Am searching for a metal detecting circuit. I found some on the net. Most prefer to use coils but they dont give the proper dimensions . Have anyone of u worked with metal detecting circuits (especially iron). If anyone of u could give me some info in this area it would be useful. Also if anyone can suggest me some ICs that could be used instead of the coils it would be really great. I found some circuits using ICs but those ICs are not available.

Thanks in advance,
    Cheenu.
    An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction -- Booker's Law

same case here ,waiting for the replies !!

Member Advanced User

maybe you can pun SMT coil under you device ?
    Make love - not work)))

Member Advanced User

i think you shiud use SMD coils
    Make love - not work)))

Blog Entries

Default METAL DETECTOR

Metal Detectors work on the principles of Induction and level of current through a coil at resonance.

All you need is an oscillator and a receiving coil, mutually coupled in air.

The reciving coil will change its resonant frequency due to varying L and/ or C. All capacitance (in Series or Parallel Resonant circuits) are the result of the capacitance due to the physical (and calculated !! :wink: ) component capacitor + capacitance between the windings of the physical inductor + the stray capacitance due to the physical proximity of the inductor to nearby "ground" objects, components etc., Any change in the capacitance / inductance value will change the "Q" as well as the resonant Freq. of the LC tuned circuit. Iron will increase the inductance and brass will decrease the inductance, in proximit with a current carrying coil.

Current is maximum, off resonance and minimum @ resonance, depending upon the configuaration and status of the Tuned circuit ( Osc, tank, Receiver tank, RF amp, series or parallel Tuned circuit...)

It is then easy to build a Osc./ Receiver pair and measure the Current through OR Freq. of these tuned circuits. Any stray capacitance- a hand, metal etc., will change the resonant freq. and current in the coils.

SMD inductance is not necessary, as any metal detector circuit must work at some distance from the coils. This usually calls for coils of large diameter to cover area as well as distance.

:arrow: The ICs used are just oscillators or amplifiers. Even a 555 timer Ic can be used :lol: :lol:
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Member Advanced User

i mean surface mount coils, made of thin wire... inner hdd wire - that is the example )
    Make love - not work)))

Blog Entries

Hi dmage!
    I dont quite understand??
    Do you mean the SMD coil of the HDD head actuator??

The coils used for Metal detection are usually air-cored around 3" and more diameter.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Member Advanced User

yea. aircored. im also think so.
    surface mount... i mean the coil should be flat and consist of
    some turns of the wire ... mm... only one layer maybe...
    Make love - not work)))

Default metal detector

i think for robots use of bfo type is not good beacouse of low sensitivity in sertain medium
    i suggest to go for induction balance metal detector by john clarke (try google)* for the ckt i have tryed it its giving 6cm in air medium
    sandeep