Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels, gears, chasis!!!

Default Wheels, gears, chasis!!!

Guys; :?:
    How to make the chasis?The wheels I am finding it difficult to find.Are these readymade available in stores.Can anyone tell me if there are any hobby stores in Chennai that sells some parts in these robot stuff.
    robosapien84

Senior Member T-1000

try aluminium ,Mecanno.
    I use both
    go here
    http://www.geocities.com/gear996
    and go to the "My robots " Tab,u'll get an idea.

The best thing is to get a good car and rip it apart.Take of it's wheels and use it's parts.
    Generates creativity and curiosty 8O
    if u know what i mean.

-ice
    //gerry

Blog Entries

Default hmm...

My method..

For the wheels.. and chassis

I prefer buyin some RC toy.. RIp it off...

for chassis ty lookin for meccano... nice stuff...

Rao

Default Mechano

What is a mecanno :?: .How many rupees does it cost??????????

Junior Member User

Default Acryllic Sheets

Hi

For making the chasis and other parts I use Acryllic Sheets.
    Draw the design and give it to the people who make number plates etc. They will cut the parts in acryllic sheets.
    Acryllic sheets are available in various thinkness, colors, size.
    It can be easily drilled, deformed with heat, and pretty strong too.
    They are the cheapest materials I ever found.
    we can use feviquick for ararite for sticking the parts together or they can be even screwed together.
    Wheels can be make with nylon rods, if you want custom design etc. Machining can be costly

Enjoy
    Shiraz

it is better a model ur desigen first and then go for fabrication and think of the materials with relative strength and weight, never compromise in design or u will land in shit
    fabricate ur own special parts,there is no joy compared to see ur creations work!

Member User

well for the wheels you can use the RUBBER CORKS ! you do get small ones in the furniture shop.YOu also get the brown colored Door Stoppers.YOu can cut them into slices tooo.Another way to obtain wheels is to order from abroad(expensive deal).If u want Wheels of much bigger size then yyou can paste three CDs with a glue and place a RUBBER around the circumference.YOu can use the Motor Horns to fill the axil or motors.
    Chasis/BOdy they prefer the aluminium sheets you get in the metal workshops,cos they are light.And if u are miser like me use Junk CDS.They are light and u can drill holes easily too.
    For gears i m not sure but i think u get them in all spares shops.I found a few in tape recorder spare shops(but did not buy them yet).For Axil you can use the aluminium ROds.Or for home side recipe use the CLoth Hangers you usually have in your almairah
    If anyone have better ideas than this ones do post them here.Most of the above are the result of googling the net and few are googling friends
    Bhargav
    PS: The above ones arent tried yet.My vacation starts from today.That was what i planned to make my first bot with.

Member Advanced User

for wheels.. u can go to a cylce shop and buy wheels of those kiddie cylces...

they are costly though.. 50 bucks each.. maybe he was milking us coz he knew a competiton was nearby... seems many ppl came to him..
    the wheels are amazing big (as big as a cd) and thick rubber coating.. and the hole is perfect for a normal geared motor available..

im using aluminium sheets for body easy to work with...

mandar

Hi mandar,
    and the hole is perfect for a normal geared motor available..
    can u please tell which geared motor u r referring to. please give info more about it like where can we get it, speed torque price, etc. i am looking for good geared dc motor.
    thank u in advance

subot_robot

Member Advanced User

we get geared motors here in pune... i dont remember the shop name i guess technik innovations.. or something.. not sure.. but pretty well known in pune..

what he does is that there is his standard motor or abt 5000 rpm and 50 gm torque... he has these gearboxes which reduce speed to a quarter.. so dependeing on ur requirement.. he will attach the gears and give to u. (the best part is once u buy a high torque motor u can always remove some gears to get a faster motor)

they are 12 or 6 volt motors... ( the max torque i've heard is 2kg at 60 rpm approx)
    he also has some other motors - lunar motors which put the above to shame.. the basic motor is something like 50 gm torque at 17,000 rpm!

but it draws a lot of current and needs high voltage.. the thing is with normal dc adapters like 6 volt/ 1 am,p cant be used... u need something like 7- 8 amp ( thats what i was told)

the cost of basic motor is 300 bucks..(after 4 speed reductions ie at 60 rpm, 2kg torque)

the lunar motor is costly.. costs 450 bucks..(but dont remember with or without the gears... )

i guess that gives a decent picture... abt the shop.. ask someone from pune.. all i can remember now that tuffs plasts is next it (in case that helps someone else trying to recall )

mandar