Thread: cd rom...

Member User

Default cd rom...

hi....
    my cdrom recently spoiled...good that its now in proper use hee he hee....i'm ripping it apart...well ...i guess the central motor is a stepper motor rite....i need the specifications of that motor....and i would like to know if there is any site where i can get to know the working of cdrom....the eye etc. ....then i can decide whether i can use any other parts for my project or not...

varun....

Blog Entries

Default CD ROM..

hi!!
    Cd Rom Motors: There are 3.
    1. Forget the central motor that rotates the CD for the time being... too complex. BrushLess DC motor with 3 star/delta wound Stator coils that requires several hundred rupees of electronics+ 3Hall sensors to deside direction speed etc., 12v. Several poles of Magnets (9 minimum)
    2. Rack motor (CD tray that goes IN/OUT,: DC 5v.
    A gear train That can be used for plenty of applications
    3 .Laser Carrier motor , worm drive, 5VDC, I have used this in many Robots (see CARIR, CARIR2 Photos/ bangalorerobotics)
    2 micro switches
    http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...src=gr&.view=t
    Keep these motors carefully.
    Tut on how to use these shortly.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member Cyborg

Hi docel

The link is broken...plz fix it

PS/-

The laser motor carriage is a pretty neat thing....you can break that assembly apart & use it for making parts for robotic arms...i tried that once

Blog Entries

Default ...link...

Thanks vidur,
    There was a problem yesterday, I dont know what, may be OK now.
    Yup, I've used the carriage assy for numerous uses. I was trying to upload a Photo of the carriage when the group site failed.

It makes a very good steering mechanism. I am preparing a Homebrew Tutorial using this and will post shortly.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Hey Docel, can you give an idea about the torque these carriage motors can offer. Just tell me with reference to some real life objects like it can lift this but cannot lift this , like that.

Have you ever used miniature hydrualic cylinders for any of your robotic arms? If you have then tell me where do you get it and how much they cost?

Member User

Default central motor...

hey....

is there any site or can anyone give me exact specifications of the central motor....schematics would be damn helpfull.....i tried searching net for
    cd rom tutorials but didnt find any......i wanted to know more about the central motor and its usage.....

is there a site where i can get the working and schematics of a cdrom.....

thanx varun...

Default Re: cd rom...

Quote Originally Posted by smart0730
    hi....
    my cdrom recently spoiled...good that its now in proper use hee he hee....i'm ripping it apart...well ...i guess the central motor is a stepper motor rite....i need the specifications of that motor....and i would like to know if there is any site where i can get to know the working of cdrom....the eye etc. ....then i can decide whether i can use any other parts for my project or not...

varun....
    Hi varun,
    I don't know how your CD got spoilt, but believe me CD drives have minds of their own. A CD shattered in my drive while running. Guess it was due to both CD quality and the drive speed. I ripped the cd drive and cleared the fragments and for once I was able to put things back(usually doesn't happen when I rip any electrical device.).
    The gradual Recovery:
    For the first few days it went crazy. Never put the tray out, or if it did, didn't take the tray in. A few days later this reduced like it was healing itself. Finally, it started working properly. So the moral is wait for your drive to heal before you dissect it.
    -OUTLAW

Member User

Default well.....

hey

yeah...i never conclude on things so early.....well actually i have repaired my cdrom lots of times...i mean some what like what u have done....my cdrom use to simply eject out as soon as the cd is put in.....well then i used to remove it move the head assembly and then i used to run the cd rom without the top cover....and then finally it starts working ...!!!! i agree with u....cdroms have thier own mind...he ehe h..but i guess there must a simple explanation for why it happens....probably jamming of the data....well....

but why my cdrom spoilt is ...i connected the cdrom with the power cable reversed while comp was on.....so thats it ...boom..capacitors burnt out....

Junior Member User

hi all
    Its for rest of the readers ... if anyone wants 'CD ROM central brushless motor' to be driven by PC read this

http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules...ewtopic&t=2528

currently only some discussion is thr but in download section thr will be something about the motor drive later on.

Rahul