Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My IIT KGP Bots

Default My IIT KGP Bots

Hey guys take a look at the bots which I made for distance tracker in IIT Kgp. Well I couldn't bag the top three ranks but still both my bots qualified for the finals and they secured 5th and 6th positions as per the score sheet.

Senior Member T-1000

Nice ones!
    How do you display the distance?

Senior Member Cyborg

Good Job!!

Dont worry about positions in contests....

cheers!
    Vivek
    --
    " To get working ideas effectively, I try to fail as fast as I can. "
    Richard Feynman
    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlawTD_9B0

For displaying the distance you can see that there are 8 LEDs on the top 7 Red and 1 Blue as per the IIT rules.

Let me put another pic of my robot with its top view so that you guys can see the LEDs too.

Blog Entries

Default kgp

Hi devpriya!
    Thats some real good piece of GP board work i've seen after a long time!!
    Congrats!!
    and thanks for the pics. Forget the prize: you were there and you did it. 5th and 6th is real good performance. Wonder who got the 1st prize etc,. and wonder why you got 5th...? Can you share your experiences?
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

nice work dev.

Tell me how much time u spend on soldering. I use breadboard on robos.
    How much time u worked on it. Don't worry about prices.

Bibin John
    www.bibinjohn.tk

Thanks guys for all the applauds.

I am a CS guy still i love soldering and that also with minimum wires. It took me 3 hours or more to solder the main motherboard for the robo.

Regarding why i came 5th and why the winner came first...........Yes I do know the reason.

Actually I ran much behind precision , due to which I reduced my speeds very much. Now what I should have expected my robot to do was to give very precise readings with no errors in the arena.

But on the day of the event my bot cleared the first three arena flawlessly with minimum errors, but in the fourth arena the turn angle was such that on that very particular angle my bot used to give false readings as the sensors arrangement was a bit faulty for that very angle.

But the error in the arrangement was such that it used to clear it up sometimes, but that main run time was not among those sometimes.

So i got stuck in that arena. I was the first participant, after i got stuck i went away with shoulders down. I went to the hostel and started making the another robot because i had time till night 3.

At eve whenn I was done with the new robot I got a call from the event coordinators that only three teams were able to make to that arena. SO if you can modify your program and clear it up we can give you another chance.

So i modified the program to clear up that arena and my robo this time cleared it also, but as the consequence of the modified program , there came some forced corrections which made my distance calculation not very precise.

On the day of finals , my modified program gave exact 20% error on one arena and i got 0 points for that arena, still the robos managed to get 5th and 6th RANKS.

If my robot would have given even 19% error instead of 20% , i would have easily walked away with the first prize straight away.

So this is my experience and analysis of my IIT KGP trip.

Finally one more thing, the IIT KGP people were toooooooo friendly and very very helpful. They were very fair, clear in terms of rules, very transparent in marking scheme and very game too.

I would like to give a big hand for them and specially for Prithviraj Banerjee and Hema Sweta - the coordinators of distance tracker.

Hey I would like to show you guys my first autonomous robot too, this is the one which i made for IIT Chennai, Shaastra 2005 , for the event Land Mine Detector.

I love this one the most.

Senior Member T-1000

ohh!!!! i misd all the fun.

anyway... jus to be more specific...
    the bot which u guys r seeing {with a hell lot of red tapes}is VIRTUOSO2, and the next one is NE0.

neo got 5th rank in iitkgp's fest and 2nd prize in NIT trichy's pragyan 2006.

whereas virtuoso fared the 6th rank in iitkgp's kshitj 2006.

the last bot{mine detector} is VIRTUOSO1, our most priced possesion.
    somehow we culdn win in iit kgp....
    anyway, no issues..
    jus chill!!!!!!
    if u thought u r the only mad person on the planet.......u got serious competition here

Default hey pal

Gr8 job,

Thats how life is, it teaches u the best by making u lose by the lowest margin ever possible. It was a gr8 machine , if u dont mind give a specs on it and if possible write an article on them.

Regards