Thread: Amazing mouldable plastic!

Default Amazing mouldable plastic!

"In 1984 Friendly Plastic modeling material was introduced to the amazement of the plastic
    world. It was a breakthrough that had eluded the industry for over hundred years. Until the
    development of Friendly Plastic modeling material, all plastics had to be molded in heavy
    machines costing tens of thousands or even millions of dollars. Only big factories could
    afford these machines. Now for the first time there is a material that people can use to make
    almost anything with needing expensive equipment. Now for the first time, a third grader can
    make simple projects out of plastic and advanced projects at work when she is grown up.
    But this wasn't all that surprised the plastics industry. Friendly Plastic modelling is actually
    tougher than well over 95% of plastic used by industry today. Surprisingly, Friendly Plastic
    modeling material has twice the toughness of polycarbonate, which is considered to be one
    of the finest and toughest of today's industrial plastics. Also, Friendly Plastic modeling
    material in one of the rare plastics that can be dyed and painted."
    Information was extracted from Friendly Plastic Project Book 1986.
    http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/craft/craft.htm#friend
    Obviously this to be very very useful and amazing!and ever since I have heard of this I have been looking for this like mad, lekin kuch nahi mila dilli mein . Apparantly no one else seems interested in this, so I am really hoping atleast robotics guys would appreciate how awesome and useful this thing is.

Another one
    and Another

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestions to get this stuff then plzz share. I really want this.
    Thanks

btw some ppl on digg mentioned that this will be useful for robotics, so thats the reason i am asking here.

Blog Entries

Default plastic

Hi,
    Try this: soak 'paneer' with acetic acid (vinegar) This is moldable but 'slow' plastic!!
    This was the first plastic invented and produced...by accident.
    The 'polymorph' in the ads are just that: milk casein and acetic acid produced with water and some catalysts. This is about $40/- per Kg (1000bucks)??? not very usable in india 'cause they melt at 60deg.

Petbottles (the ones that carry germicides laced with coke etc,.) are thermoplastics. They can be moulded by heat.

Try this too; fill a pet-bottle with air with pressure and dump it in medium hot water (60degC. careful!! it may burst and splash hot water!!!) .The star shaped bottom will smoothen out into a sphere. You can even 'Iron' out the kinks in the bottle.

Bubble packing ( the clear bubble plastic holding cells, cartridges etc., to cardboard ) is also a thermoplastic- can be moulded by heat. They will change shgape with a hair-dryer and hot water.

...not to mention heat-shrink sleeves...
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Junior Member Newbie

Default M Seal

You can use Mseal . Just mix the 2 layers together and mould into any shape u like just like clay. You leave it in the sun and it will harden. Its not the same thing as plastic though.
    M Seal comes in handy especially when u want to fit the shaft of the Motor onto a wheel or fan or propellor with a larger radius opening.

Member Advanced User

I am a plastics engineering student and we have a subject called product design, in which we design a product and make a prototype out of plastic sheets. We generally use acrylic, polystyrene and pc sheets and we make any imaginable shape product out of that. Using my that knowlege i make robots completely from plastic and believe me it works. I have won more than 20 competitions at first place using robots made of plastic sheets. If u can use it effectively it helps u a lot, like light weight stucture make ur robot more efficient, u can use low torque motors so u have to use less heavy battries. And main advantage is u can make any shape out of it very easily. Moldable plastics are only useful for mass production.

Junior Member Newbie

any resources or links how to mould plastics?
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for these desi jugads
    docel@ great methods man, I will just try them out. One question: How do I go about filling a pet-bottle(or anything else for that matter) with air with pressure"?
    Sandeep@ I will definitely give plastic sheets a try. Any place where I get them in delhi?
    and mseal is always useful, though it hs the disdvantage of being too strong- cannot be removed with ease.

Blog Entries

Default air

hi chesss!
    1. Pull out your bicycle tube Valve...rather cutit out. This gives you a bolt-nut assembly.
    2. Make a hole in the pet cap and fit the bolt-nut valve assy.
    3. Screw the cap onto the bottle and pump air into it with a cycle pump. about 2 to 3 strokes will do, till you get the hang of things.
    The bottle wont explode till 100 PSI..... 8O Unless it is damaged.
    :arrow: Use a hot hair dryer. You can even use hot iron with some skill.

:arrow: Pet bottles are the cheapest mouldable plastic in the world :roll: you can get them for free :wink: :wink:
    :arrow: cut the bottle and heat it till it flattens to a sheet. Do carefully or it will hole the sheet.
    :arrow: fill with hot water to change shape.

You can mould a toy car replica (or anything else by heating the sheet over the original car...
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Cool info docel, will try it as soon as possible

Thanks

Blog Entries

amazing dude.. that is some really good info..

you rock

Rao