Thread: making a humanoid!

Junior Member Newbie

Default making a humanoid!

Hi,
    I want to build a walking humanoid. I am gonna use readymade prosthetic parts for that. I am planning to power the hip part since its not easy to power the knee prosthetic. Planning to use a TI 2407 microcontroller.
    Has anybody done it or something similar? Anybody has any design idea, or the problems to be kept in mind while designing?
    At first, the stability is not of concern, and can be hand-supported at times. But it should walk decently!
    Regards
    Pannag

Blog Entries

Default well

Well i have not built a humanoid but .... i know that it will be very complicated and a massive undertaking ( for example considering the kinematics involved ( which is a small part ) in the legs only ) I had to once write kinematics for a 5 DOF arm and belive me it is not easy with those big matrices 8O .
    Any way for any ideas -
    http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=67
    This seems to pretty decent biped robot using servos .

http://www.intelligent-systems.com.ar/intsyst/robby.htm
    http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/human.../overview.html

A sample kinematics for humanoids
    http://www.3dkingdoms.com/ik.htm

Junior Member Newbie

Default thanks

Hi Vikas,
    Thanks for the info. The first link esp is really good.
    Yeah, I know its a massive undertaking...have never done one that big ever! But I have a group of 5 with me, and we have 3.5 months approxly to achieve the first goal....
    I was wondering where to start from...may be first have a rough sketch acco to the functional requirements and then calculate the power requirements at each joint (not sure how to do that though!) or study the kinematics....
    You seem to have lot fo exp... ..what do you suggest?
    Thanks
    Pannag

Member Advanced User

Default HI ..

Hi ,
    Well apart from that complex kinematics u will require a very precise
    mechanical design and high reflex control system and specialized hardware to calculate the CG and minimize its variation to stablize
    ur design. So better go for a DSP board rather than messing with micros.
    And anyone of u has a good experience of programming then only go for this project , blv. me its next to impossible unless u have experts form all the fields. At HONDA corp it took 28 months for a team 19 scientist to stablize their first proto.

Thanx and regards
    -
    Pulkit

Junior Member Newbie

Default re:Hi

Hi Pulkit,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yeah, we have good programmers in our team. As I told before, stability is not of great concern first. What we want to check is the feasibility of how realistically/fast it can walk by using commerically available prosthetic parts, and demonstrate an application. Supporting by hand in between is ok. Thats the goal by mid of December.
    Basically, I am a student at UC Berkeley, and this project is a lab-course project. We have to use microcontroller....but that is supposed to be suitable for motion control, so should not be a great prob I think. And then the prof would like to continue and build up on that later regarding stability.
    So I am considering what all things need to be done in the beginning so that we foresee the troubles; more so since I have always done small things and never done deep analysis before the proj! ....it will also help in dividing the work among teammates. Do you have any suggestions?
    I really appreciate your views and concerns.
    Cheers,
    Pannag Sanketi